Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 14

Today I looked up what a Bananafish is. Expecting to find a yellow species of tropical fish, I was surprised to find that there are no fish called "Bananafish." Instead, I was led to believe that this "bananafish" refers to one of three things: (1) the short story "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" by J.D. Salinger, (2) the classic manga "Banana Fish" by Akimi Yoshida, or (3) the band Bananafish. There are actually a ton of bands called Bananafish, or some variation on that name, which I thought was super weird. I'm guessing the movie reference is to the Salinger story, because that seems like it fits Summer and Tom's personalities best, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they ended up both secretly being obsessed with vintage manga.

this is creepy and weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment