Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 15

Ok so I'm not going to call it "Funkay Fridays" anymore because I realized that's super lame, but it is Friday again, so I'm going to talk about another faabulous song from 500 Days of Summer. This week, I'm going to focus on one of my least favorite songs: "Bad Kids" by Black Lips. Not only do I just not really like this song, but I don't think it works very well in the film. This rambunctious garage-pop song plays during an engagement party at Tom and Summer's office, which is totally unrealistic, because I seriously doubt that the bride-to-be or the office manager are big Black Lips fans. Not only does the vibe of the song not fit the scene, but the lyrics are totally disconnected to anything that happens at any point in the movie. Here's the chorus:

"Bad kids all my friends are bad kids
Product of no dad kids
Kids like you and me

Bad kids ain't no college grad kids
Livin out on the skids
Kids like you and me"

The rest of the song is pretty similar to this. I like Black Lips, and I think some of their other songs are great, and maybe it's just the placement of "Bad Kids" in this movie that ruined it for me, but I think it is possibly the worst part about this movie. Look at this:

while listening to this:
Maybe I am missing some witty, ironic moment that is supposedly being created through this juxtaposition, but I just don't get this song choice at all. I'm not even going to get into which song would be a better choice, because there are just way too many possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment